- CONTACT US
- AFS
- Business
- Bussiness
- Car
- Career
- Celebrity
- Digital Products
- Education
- Entertainment
- Fashion
- Film
- Food
- Fun
- Games
- General Health
- Health
- Health Awareness
- Healthy
- Healthy Lifestyle
- History Facts
- Household Appliances
- Internet
- Investment
- Law
- Lifestyle
- Loans&Mortgages
- Luxury Life Style
- movie
- Music
- Nature
- News
- Opinion
- Pet
- Plant
- Politics
- Recommends
- Science
- Self-care
- services
- Smart Phone
- Sports
- Style
- Technology
- tire
- Travel
- US
- World
BAMAKO, Mali (AP) — Mali’s ruling junta and Canadian miner Barrick have reached an agreement resolving a tax dispute involving one of Africa’s largest gold mining complexes, authorities and the company said Monday.
The agreement ends a two-year standoff between Mali and the company over the country’s new mining code, which increases the state’s share of revenue from gold producers. The dispute had previously led to the arrest of four Barrick Gold employees, who remain detained, and an arrest warrant for the company's CEO Mark Bristow.
In June, the company’s Loulo-Gounkoto gold mining complex — one of the continent’s largest — was placed under provisional administration for six months.
In December last year, Barrick had submitted a request for arbitration to the International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes to address disagreements with Mali about Loulo-Gounkoto.
“Each party has committed to halting the ongoing legal proceedings as well as the various disputes over customs and tax issues,” Mali’s Minister of Mines, Amadou Keita, said on state television Monday.
Keita said Barrick has agreed to sign the 2023 mining code, which lets the state take up to 30% ownership of any new mining project.
“All charges brought against Barrick, its affiliates and employees will be dropped and the legal steps for the release of the four detained Barrick employees will be undertaken,” the Canadian company said in a statement.
It said operational control of the Loulo-Gounkoto complex will be handed back to Barrick.
A Barrick official with knowledge of the negotiation said both parties have agreed to settle their differences within six days.
“During those six days, Barrick must withdraw its complaint from international arbitration and pay a sum of around $180,000. In return, the Malian government will release the four Barrick employees and return the three tons of gold seized by the military junta earlier this year,” said the official, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive talks.
Barrick has been operating in Mali for three decades. The company's website says it is Africa’s largest gold producer through its Loulo-Gounkoto complex and the Kibali mine in Congo.
Mali is one of Africa’s leading gold producers, but it has struggled for years with jihadi violence and high levels of poverty and hunger. The military seized power in 2020, and the government has placed foreign mining companies under growing pressure as it seeks to shore up revenues.
Last year, the CEO of Australian company Resolute Mining and two employees were arrested in Bamako. They were released after the company paid $80 million to Malian authorities to resolve a tax dispute and promised to pay a further $80 million in coming months.
LATEST POSTS
- 1
Israel violated ceasefire with Hezbollah more than 10,000 times, UNIFIL claims - 2
Report in relation to renaming Herzog Park set to be withdrawn - 3
Bismuth’s haredi draft bill won’t change enlistment, IDI expert tells 'Post' - 4
I work with companies to confront addiction in the workplace. The hidden crisis is costing corporate America millions. - 5
German police 'cleared path for fascists with batons,' protesters say
Netanyahu leads meeting on West Bank riots, Katz defends axing administrative detention for Jews
Lahav 433 head Asst.-Ch. Meni Benjamin named as police officer investigated for breach of trust
Palestinians reel under winter rains as Israel blocks Gaza shelter supplies
Young Muslims in Germany feel left out of Mideast debate, experts say
Iran denies launching ballistic missiles towards Kurdistan region of Iraq
Warnings rise for U.S. as severe flu strain causes outbreaks in Canada, U.K.
Trial of pro-Palestine activist begins
Reporter's Notebook: The Post embeds with foreign armies visiting the IDF
Pilot captures jaw-dropping northern lights show from 36,000 feet (photos)













